Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Francisco Varallo

Francisco Varallo might not have been a household but the announcement of his death means that none of the players from the 1930 World Cup final between Uruguay and Argentina still survive.

Varallo was on the losing Argentinian side. On his 100th birthday he told FIFA:

''However, in my whole life I've never felt such a bitter pain as losing that World Cup final against Uruguay in 1930. How I cried that day. Even now when I look back it still makes me angry.''

"Everyone asks me about that match, in which I shouldn't have played because I was very young, I didn't have experience. Sometimes I prefer not to remember what happened in Montevideo."

Until very recently, when he was overtaken by Martin Palermo, Varallo was also Boca's record goalscorer.

Interesting to wonder what Varallo thought of the modern game. Telling also that the pain of defeat was still so strong eighty years later. Eighty often turbulent years for football and for Argentina. But that, I suppose, is what international football should be all about.


No comments:

Post a Comment