Monday, April 01, 2013

Five go mad in Lille

When I heard the news that my good friend Scott Johnston, of thefootyblog.net "fame", was walking to Lille with his longtime guy pal and French football fanatique, Andrew Gibney, I thought they'd set themselves a bizarre test of their bromance strength.

That might well be the case.

But they're also challenging themselves for the greater good: 127 miles across England, Belgium and France to raise funds for the MS Society.

Joining them are the apparently sane Chris Mayer, Lewis Skinner and Nick Crookes, the five of them raising funds to fight a neurological condition that affects around 100,000 people in the UK.

The trip was inspired by Andrew's father-in-law who suffers from multiple sclerosis. It's a condition I hear about regularly but, I suspect like many people, don't take a lot of notice of.

It was only after Scott started speaking about this fundraising idea that I realised that most people are diagnosed between the ages of 20 and 40. Which, perhaps selfishly, rammed home the relevance of what the guys are doing.

A worthwhile cause and a unique way to fundraise, with clubs from Sheffield to Brugge via Rotherham helping out along the way.

The famous five set off on Friday and will arrive in Lille the following week, having clocked up 20 miles a day.

My advice to the walkers - take plenty of suitable swaddling for the blisters and insist Scott tends to his own chafing injuries.

My advice to everyone else - give generously for a great cause.

And you can do that on JustGiving.com

No comments:

Post a Comment