Saturday, February 17, 2007

It's Only Words...

As I’ve been a blogging chancer of late you’ll excuse me if I go over a couple of stories that I missed. You might call this the 'Scottish Football Guide to Saying What You Mean':

"I was just laying back relaxing in the dressing room and the manager sat beside me and told me he wanted to make me club captain – I had to take a wee breath because I was not quite sure if he was telling the truth or not! It is a very big honour, I’ve been a Hibernian supporter all my life so to lead the team out for the first time on Sunday was a massive thing for me. It is something that every young boy would like to be."

Kevin Thomson, July 2006, on assuming the Hibs captaincy.

"At that moment I would have run across the M8 in my bare feet to get the deal done.This is the best day of my life and I can't put into words how excited I am to call myself a Rangers player. It's a boyhood dream come true."

Kevin Thomson, January 2007, on signing for Rangers.

"While these players have signed the contracts just recently then there has to become a responsibility on a player. I think where they will be disappointed is when they do sign their players on a contract then they are looking to get out of that contract without taking a great deal of responsibility for it."

Walter Smith, December 2006, on Thomson and Scott Brown honouring their contracts with Hibs.

"Walter Smith has returned to Rangers as manager, putting pen to paper to a three-year contract. Smith, who revived the fortunes of the Scotland national side, still had 18 months remaining on his contract with the SFA."

Yahoo News, January 2007, as Smith shows how to handle a contract responsibly by ripping his own up.

"Rangers have beaten Celtic and several English clubs to the signature of Kevin Thomson after paying Hibernian £2m for the midfielder."

BBC Sport, January 2007, as Smith allows Thomson to follow his example.

"Walter's departure is a serious blow to the Scottish FA. We are very disappointed that he has chosen to leave us at this critical time. No agreement has been reached with Mr Smith or Rangers Football Club on any compensation payment to be made for the early termination of his employment, which is in breach of his contract with the Scottish FA."

David Taylor, January 2007, as Smith ditches Scotland and the SFA search for compensation.

"It's a different thing altogether."

David Taylor, Ferbruary 2007, as he follows Smith out of the SFA.

Just a snapshot. But it’s these kind of things that leave the fans so frustrated and add to the impression of football – and everyone connected with the game – as a bloated, money grabbing monster.

But we always come back for more.

No comments:

Post a Comment